- A Cocktail is a mixed drink that contains two or more ingredients, one of which must be a spirit. This means a cocktail is an alcoholic beverage. Technically if it doesn't contain alcohol it is not a "cocktail".
- Non alcoholic versions of cocktails are often called "virgin" cocktails and, most recently "mocktails".
- Originally cocktails were a mixture of spirits, sugar, water and bitters but today a cocktail is considered any mixed drink that is made with alcohol.
- Once upon a time cocktails were called bitter slings.
- The true origin of the word cocktail is not known, however, the first known appearance of the word in print was in The Farmer's Cabinet on April 28, 1803.
Read more about the Cocktails Facts and History and The Original Cocktail Party at: A HISTORY OF THE COCKTAIL
Life's just a #cocktail party ― on the street.
~ Mick Jagger
Follow me on Twitter as TheMartiniDiva
Like The Martini Diva on FacebookMI
PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY