20160721

JUNK (aka FAST) FOOD INSPIRED COCKTAILS


JUNK FOOD: Food containing low nutritional value, high levels of calories, sugar, fat, salt and chemical food additives.

FAST FOOD: Food that can be prepared quickly and easily and is sold in drive through restaurants and snack bars as a quick meal or to be taken out.

Although Michael Jacobson, co-founder of the Centre for Science in the Public Interest which was founded in the early 1970's, is most often the person credited with the term "junk food", an article in the Ogden, Utah, Standard-Examiner headlined, "Dr. Brady’s Health Column: More Junk Than Food" appeared in 1948. Either way, this puts the proliferation of junk food smack dab in the middle of the 20th century when "convenience" and "fast" food made it's debut.

I'm not one to judge, but let's face it, if it's wrapped in a greasy bag with a cartoon or logo on it or you drove up to a window to get it, it's probably junk food. I was not immune to the siren call of addictive, quick foods that came in greasy bags. I confess, during the eighties, when I was working 18 hour days, my dog, Shadow, actually thought she was going to get a french fry when I drove up to the bank window to make a deposit.

I have so many junk food inspired cocktails I'm a little embarrassed. My only excuse is I grew up in the era that introduced America to fast/junk food. Before my life time there was no such thing as TV dinners, McDonald's, Taco Bell, pizza chains,  nachos, instant noodles or sour gummy candies. For some reason, after World War II, America became obsessed with instant gratification, and that included instant aka "fast" aka "junk" food. Baby boomers wanted it all and wanted it now. All those food holidays are children of the baby boom as well.

Mea culpa for my era. But if it's any consolation, my entire generation is also obsessed with dieting, blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. These days both myself and my little furry wingmen are on healthier diets, with only occasional forays into the Dark World of Drive-up Fries & Donuts.

I make my concessions, and confessions, at happy hour. I believe on moderation in all things, including junk food.

JUNK FOOD
(Fast food Inspired)
COCKTAILS
BOOZY SLUSHIES, SHAKES, FLOATS
BROWNIE MARTINI
CAKE COCKTAILS
CANDY COCKTAILS
CHEESECAKE COCKTAILS
CHEESY DOODLE MARTINI
CHERRY COLA MARTINI
COOKIE COCKTAILS
HOT BUTTERED POPCORN SHOOTER
ICE CREAM COCKTAILS
JELLY FILLED DONUT MARTINI
ORANGE JULIUS MARTINI
PIE COCKTAILS 
PIZZA COCKTAILS

No, you're not getting a link to my Chocolate Cocktails here. I have never, and never will, consider chocolate junk food.


Updated 7-2018
PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...