20110530

HAPPY MINT JULEP DAY! Celebrate May 30th with a Mint Julep Martini


May 30th is
NATIONAL MINT JULEP DAY

A Classic Mint Julep is Bourbon, Fresh Mint, Water and a splash of Simple Syrup and it came out of the Southern United States as a kind of bourbon spritzer meant to ease the heat of those long, hot summers.  It is also the traditional cocktail of the Kentucky Derby where thousands of them are served up for the Run for the Roses.

I've done several adaptations of this classis Southern cooler and you can find all those drink recipes here:
MINT JULEP RECIPES 

For some reason a traditional Mint Julep always makes me think of the a very young, extremely hot and sexy Paul Newman in "The Long Hot Summer". It must be all that Southern steam from the heat and humidity and those scenes on the porch where the characters fan themselves while enjoying a cooling beverage.  My mind has always figured those were Mint Juleps in those glasses, lol.  I shall always have a fondness in my heart for Mint Juleps for this visual!

To see what I mean watch the first minute of this scene from the movie:

HAPPY MINT JULEP DAY!

Updated January  2016



Follow me on Twitter as PopArtDiva
Follow me on Twitter as TheMartiniDiva
Friend me on Facebook
PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...