20100115

Elderflower Martini for my Birthday

Yesterday was my 59th birthday - the last one before the big 60. I wanted to have a birthday of some planned fun and some spontaneous fun and you can read a short itnerary (with photos) at The PopArtDiva Blog today - don't miss the photo of my cool POP ART TOES!

Of course, I had to have a martini and I always like to try out something new and unique if I can. Luckily the Harbor Grill in Dana Point has a nice martini selection with a featured martini. Yesterday they had an Elderflower Martini - made with St. Germain Elderflower liquor, Absolut Citron and Cranberry Juice. From the small amount of citrus pulp floating on top I also tasted a nice lemon note.

The Elderflower Martini had a lovely nose on it - just before you sipped you caught that flower essence which really added to the flavor. I could taste the elderflower essence quite nicely and it was well paired with the citrus vodka and cranberry for a very unique and refreshing martini! Audrey and I both gave the taste a thumbs up!

I was a bit disappointed in the presentation - an $11 martini (about average pricing these days) should at least have a minimum garnish of a lemon twist or something and this martini came as a Plain Jane. To me presentation is a big part of enjoying food and a martini garnish is part of the fun of drinking a martini! Ideally I would like to have seen a lovely edible white flower floating on top! Maybe not the Elderflower itself as those are hard to come by unless you're in the Alps at exactly the right two weeks according to St. Germain's website, lol. But any delicate edible flower would have been a perfect garnish.

I am intrigued by this new flower liquor and am anxious to try out some concoctions myself as soon as I can get my hand on a bottle!

Kudos to the bartender at the Harbor Grill for a unique martini taste experience and a hello to the sweet waitress who overheard us talking about my birthday and brought me an excellent Birthday Cheesecake with Raspberry Coulee all lit up with a candle without ever being asked AND NO SINGING OF HAPPY BIRTHDAY, THANK YOU! P.S. The steamed clams were decent too! I'll definitely be back to try out another featured martini and more seafood.

I'll be back to my birthday celebration martinis for January next week - I'm doing candy inspired martinis right now so check this month's previous posts and keep an eye out for upcoming sweet treat martinis!


Follow me on Twitter as PopArtDiva
Follow me on Twitter as TheMartiniDiva
Friend me on Facebook

CONTACT ME TO BECOME A SPONSOR OF THE MARTINI DIVA!
PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY & DRIVE RESPONSIBLY
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...